Challenge: Shorten focusing times in new-generation system using a high-precision stage. Flatness, straightness, and speed in a particular imaging area are critical to the application. Specs are not as critical outside of the specified imaging area.
Solution: Motion Solutions utilized ground and lapped aluminum bases, super-precision grade linear guides to help maintain flatness and straightness, stainless steel optical encoder for positioning and linear motor as a drive mechanism for speed and precision. The solution included external components, and Motion Solutions-designed machined parts.
Result: MOSO’s responsive and timely work produced the high-speed optical gantry on granite leading to a reduction in focusing times. Results in specified imaging area:
- X-Axis Straightness: 0.59 microns
- X-Axis Flatness: 0.93 microns
- X-Axis Repeatability: 0.38 microns, bi-directional
- Y-Axis Straightness: 5.5 microns
- Y-Axis Flatness: 3.4 microns
- Y-Axis Repeatability: 1.26 microns, bi-directional
- Settling Time (10mm move, 1G acceleration, 4kg load): 7 ms; Total move under 100 ms)
- XY Perpendicularity: 8 arc-seconds