Challenge: Customer needed to shorten focusing times in their next-generation system. To accomplish this, they required a high speed and high straightness stage that fit in their existing package. Flatness was not critical.
Solution: Motion Solutions utilized THK SHS linear bearings, Akribis linear motor, Renishaw Quantic encoder and Motion Solutions-designed machined parts and extrusion to produce a system that included these features:
- Custom extrusion for high strength and low weight on top Y-axis
- Dual-driven bottom X-axis for higher load capacity
- Special system alignment for straightness
- Stainless steel optical encoder for positioning
- Linear motor as drive mechanism for speed and precision
- Custom Z-axis for camera positioning
Result: Motion Solutions was able to provide a high precision system, reducing imaging times with high-speed actuators including on the Z focus stage and a sub 18 arc-second straightness error in the dual X-axes over a 390mm stroke. Results were quantified using laser equipment.